Paleo Recipes: Stuffed Peppers
My family love stuffed peppers. And I love the colors of the peppers. I am happy to pay a little more for the yellow and orange varieties because they are such a visual pleasure as well as a tasty one. I make a batch of the meat sauce using advice contained in Orleatha’s online course, Batch Cookery, then pull out the amount I need on the day and finish off the meal by cooking with the peppers.
This recipe is from Orleatha’s book Cooking Against The Grain: Grain-Free Meals That Are Fast, Freezer Friendly and Fantastic! in which she demonstrates how to make food that you can easily prepare on a weeknight because you actually made them earlier, often much earlier :-).
These peppers are great for a cool winter’s evening. A good, hearty meal! Please share. Buttons are to the left and at the end of the post.
- 8 bell peppers
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 head of cauliflower, riced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2. Clean and remove tops of the bell peppers, removing internal membrane.
- 3. Brown sausage and beef in a large pan over medium heat adding salt and pepper then remove and set aside.
- 4. In the same skillet add garlic, mushrooms and onions scraping up browned meat bits.
- 5. Mix in cauliflower and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- 6. Tomato paste and meat back in mixing well.
- 7. Stuff peppers with about 2-3 tablespoons of the meat mixture then place in 8x12 pan.
- 8. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Complete through #8. Wrap each pepper in aluminum foil then in a freezer bag.
- To prepare, thaw in refrigerator then reheat in 350°F oven for 15 minutes.
Adapted from Cooking Against The Grain
Orleatha is a C.H.E.K trained Holistic Lifestyle Coach and holds a degree in secondary science education, a biology teaching credential, and a Master’s in Education. She is also a certified facilitator for Covey 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Orleatha lost over 100 lbs following weight-loss surgery but she didn’t achieve good health and weight maintenance until she began a paleo diet. You can read her paleo success story here. Since then, she’s been paying it forward by helping others who want to regain their health.
She is the founder of Level Health and Nutrition – a coaching system designed to help other people on their journey to health, author of two books, Cooking Against the Grain and Cooking Against The Grain – Sweet Revenge, and creator of an online course, Batch Cookery, designed to teach people how to save time, money and stress by using batch cooking techniques. You can follow Orleatha on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
Are you struggling to sustain a paleo lifestyle change? Or not sure how to start? Or perhaps those around you are resistant and you're feeling undermined and unsure. The Modern, No-Nonsense Guide to Paleo provides practical tools to ease the transition to a full-on paleo life. Each chapter includes strategies, tips and checklists to identify the actions to power you on your paleo journey and create sustainable change. Buy it at Amazon.com.