Paleo Recipes: Roasted Garlic, Ginger & Chicken Soup
Gosh, I made this yesterday as I am fighting an airplane-derived cold and it was outrageous and just the job. Warm, soothing, a little kick…and of course, sooooo healthy. Another fabulous paleo recipe from the wonderful high-quality series designed by Pauli Halstead, author of Primal Cuisine: Cooking for the Paleo Diet. Recommended! Please share especially as we head into winter! Buttons are to the left and at the end of the post.
Roasted Garlic, Ginger & Chicken Soup
Wonderful on a cool, Fall day.
- 3 bulbs garlic, roasted
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups sweet onion, sliced
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk powder* (or 14 oz. can of coconut milk)
- 7 cups homemade organic chicken broth
- juice of 1-2 limes, to taste
- 26 cloves of raw garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups roasted organic chicken, chopped
- Garnish: 8 lemon wedges and cilantro leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.
- 2. Cut the tips off the bulbs of garlic. Drizzle the garlic with 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or ghee. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and wrap in aluminum foil. Bake garlic bulbs for about 45 minutes until soft. Remove from the oven and cool. Squeeze the garlic cloves into a small bowl.
- 3. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, thyme, ginger, and cayenne pepper and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add roasted garlic and 26 raw garlic cloves and cook 3 minutes.
- 4. Add chicken broth, lime juice, and salt. Whisk in the coconut milk powder. Cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- 5. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to saucepan, add chicken and bring to simmer. Add a couple of grinds of pepper.
- 6. Garnish with the cilantro leaves and a wedge of lime.
Adapted from Primal Cuisine: Cooking For The Paleo Diet
Pauli has over 30 years experience in the restaurant and catering business, and her recipes produce dishes that could grace the table of a fine dining establishment, yet are simple to prepare too.
Resolving her health issues though adopting a paleo/Primal diet, Pauli has become passionate about the lifestyle and now brings her extensive experience to bear when creating delicious paleo food. The above paleo recipe is from her book, Primal Cuisine: Cooking for the Paleo Diet, available from Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble. You can find out more about Pauli at her website: Primal Cuisine and on Facebook.
Are you struggling to sustain a paleo lifestyle change? Or not sure how to start? Or perhaps those around you are resistant and you're feeling undermined and unsure. The Modern, No-Nonsense Guide to Paleo provides practical tools to ease the transition to a full-on paleo life. Each chapter includes strategies, tips and checklists to identify the actions to power you on your paleo journey and create sustainable change. Buy it at Amazon.com.