As a kid, I used to treasure the times when we would go to McDonald’s.
It wasn’t really that I loved the burgers and fries. On the contrary, I was always most excited that I’d be allowed to order an apple pie. (And as I’m sure that Alison will agree, pies are simply an essential part of cuisine (even McDonald’s cuisine) in England, where I also grew up).
I’ve been Paleo for quite a while now and have spent many hours in the kitchen trying to recreate Paleo versions of baked goods. However, making Paleo pies often involves labor-intensive baking sessions involving overly-complicated pie crusts!
And who has time to slave away like that all the time?
Perhaps more importantly, so many “Paleo” desserts are filled with added sugar in some form or another (whether it’s honey, maple syrup, or some other “Paleo-approved” sweetener). All that added sugar is not something that I’m OK with eating very often.
So, to take the labor out of apple pie making, I created this simple and delicious no-bake apple pie recipe, which has zero added sugar but is nonetheless absolutely delicious. And when you do serve this to your friends and family, please let me know in the comments below how much they enjoy it!
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, macadamia nuts) - you can use a blender or food processor to roughly chop these
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons ghee (or replace with another 2 Tablespoons coconut oil)
- 6 whole raw almonds as topping
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1. Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of ghee in a saucepan on medium heat.
- 2. Add the apples to the saucepan and stir regularly to cook the apples until they’re soft (8-10 minutes).
- 3. Add in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and the chopped nuts and cook for 5 more minutes so that the flavor sinks in.
- 4. Divide into 2 individual ramekins packing it down, making sure that you don’t scoop out the extra oil at the bottom of the pan.
- 5. Place the 6 whole raw almonds into the extra oil left in the pan to coat them (it gives them a glistening look and some flavor).
- 6. Place 3 almonds (in a clover leaf arrangement) on top of each apple pie as decoration.