Paleo Recipes: Carob Ganache Mini Tortes
Five ingredients. Five or ten minutes to prepare (plus chill time, of course.) Unreal results. Plus three amazing variations. If you are sensitive to coconut, I will forgive you for not bookmarking this page. Anyone else, let this one slip away and you will surely regret it!
With this level of simplicity and sophistication, if you guessed this is another winning recipe from Sarah Ballantyne (the Paleo Mom), you got it!
Please share this recipe. Buttons are to the left and at the end of the post.
Carob Ganache Mini Tortes
Need a decadent chocolate fix or a beautiful but simple dessert to serve company? This recipe definitely fits the bill. The combination of carob powder, vanilla, coconut, and cinnamon is surprisingly similar to chocolate. This ganache is beautiful when chilled in a silicone mold and inverted onto a plate. However, you can also keep it simple and pour into individual ramekins or even a big serving bowl and just spoon out individual servings when you’re ready.
- ²⁄3 cup homemade Coconut Milk (page 116) or canned full-fat coconut milk
- ¹⁄3 cup extra-virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract or 1½ teaspoons vanilla powder
- ¹⁄3 cup carob powder
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Bring the coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla to a low simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. If using vanilla extract, let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, to burn off the majority of the alcohol (if using vanilla powder, skip the simmering and simply heat to melt the coconut oil).
- Pour the coconut milk mixture into a blender or food processor. Add the carob and cinnamon and blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute to thoroughly combine.
- Pour into individual ramekins, silicone molds, or a large serving bowl. Chill until set, 3 to 4 hours.
- Enjoy plain or serve with berries.
- If you do not tolerate coconut milk, skip this recipe.
- Simmering the vanilla in the coconut milk burns off only about half of the alcohol. If you know that you are very sensitive to alcohol, use vanilla powder or omit the vanilla.
- Blender or food processor
- Ramekins, silicone molds, or serving dish
- • Mint “Chocolate” Ganache Torte. Instead of using cinnamon, add a few drops of peppermint oil.
- • Rum-Ball Ganache Torte. Heat 4 tablespoons dark rum and simmer until 2 tablespoons are left. Use in place of the vanilla.
- • “Chocolate” Mousse. Increase the amount of coconut milk to 1 cup. Pour into individual ramekins or a large serving bowl to chill (the mousse does not work in silicone molds).
Adapted from The Paleo Approach Cookbook
Sarah Ballantyne, Ph.D. (a.k.a. The Paleo Mom) is the blogger behind the award-winning blog www.ThePaleoMom.com, cohost of the top-rated and syndicated The Paleo View podcast, and author of two books, The Paleo Approach and The Paleo Approach Cookbook.
Sarah is an accomplished, award-winning scientist who is passionate about scientific literacy and about distilling scientific concepts into straightforward and accessible explanations. As a scientist both by training and by nature, Sarah is deeply interested in understanding how the foods we eat interact with our gut barriers, immune systems, and hormones to influence health.
Sarah has also always loved food and loved cooking. She loves being creative in the kitchen and finding ways to reinvent old favorites. She cooks mostly for her family, which is why you will see such a diversity of recipes on her blog. She believes that even healthy food should taste amazing and that there can be room in life for celebrations with food and occasional treats (and that what occasional means is individual).
You can also find Sarah on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
Are you struggling to sustain a paleo lifestyle change? Or not sure how to start? Or perhaps those around you are resistant and you're feeling undermined and unsure. The Modern, No-Nonsense Guide to Paleo provides practical tools to ease the transition to a full-on paleo life. Each chapter includes strategies, tips and checklists to identify the actions to power you on your paleo journey and create sustainable change. Buy it at Amazon.com.