Paleo Recipes: Almond Flour Pancakes
Pancakes are one of my favorite dishes and these paleo, gluten-free pancakes are simple, but tasty. I always serve them with bananas to my kids, but use berries for a lower-carb, lower-sugar alternative. (Or, shhh, I make almond butter and banana sandwiches with them for a treat.) This is a recipe from the new book by Hayley Mason and Bill Staley – The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking – which is a great introduction to paleo if you are about to embark on a whole 30-day program. Please share! Buttons are to the left and at the end of the post.
Almond Flour Pancakes
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 3/4 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon salted grass-fed butter or coconut oil, for frying
- 1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the two eggs.
- 2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- 3. Add the vanilla extract and eggs to the dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon to combine.
- 4. Add water, and stir.
- 5. Heat 1 tablespoon of grass-fed butter or coconut oil in a large nonstick skillet.
- 6. Using 1/8 cup, scoop the batter into the frying pan, leaving enough space in between the pancakes to flip.
- 7. Cook 2 minutes on the first side, flip, and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add additional cooking fat as needed. (It helps to flip the pancakes back and forth a bit to ensure they are cooked through.)
- 8. Top with your choice of grass-fed butter or coconut oil and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Serve with any fresh fruit you may have on hand.
- Reprinted with permission from The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking: Entire Month of Paleo Meals by Hayley Mason & Bill Staley (Victory Belt Publishing, 2013). Photo Credit: Bill Staley.
Adapted from The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking: Entire Month of Paleo Meals
Hayley Mason and Bill Staley are popular paleo food bloggers who have developed something of a small empire over at their website The Food Lovers Kitchen where you will find an online meal planner, shopping lists and even a comparison app. They have co-authored two other paleo recipe books, Make It Paleo and Gather.
In their new book, The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking, Hayley and Bill guide you step-by-step through you first month of following the paleo diet.