Do you ever just like someone? You know, just intuitively?
I felt like that when I listened to Dr. Carolyn Dean’s presentation at the Much More Than A Mom summit. I just liked her.
I have recently got turned on to magnesium and other mineral supplementation and, honestly, it has been amazing experience. My body hasn’t worked this smoothly in a very long time. Things have really kicked up a notch, a bunch of notches. And all I have to do is add it to my drinking water. Plus drink it, of course.
Minerals are Dr. Dean’s tour de force.
Straightforward, highly intelligent, a little outspoken, deeply caring, but no-nonsense, that’s how I’d characterize her. She clearly has her finger on the pulse of women’s health. She cares passionately that women look after themselves and gives us the tools to do so.
Her presentation was chock-full of information. It was empowering. She said that her consults consisted of an hour’s discussion, at the end of which, she offered her clients a treatment plan, and then “off they go”. Simples.
Dr. Dean has been dealing with women’s health for decades. She knows her stuff. The main points of her talk are below…nearly 30 of them.
*Please share this information with them because there’s someone in your life who is suffering from the issues Dr. Dean talks about. I guarantee it. There are buttons at the end and to your left to help you do so.*
Toxicity – Back to Basics
1. We are all stretched so thin in today’s world and most of us have a level of toxicity in our bodies. To combat this toxicity, Dr. Dean recommends drinking filtered or spring water with 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt to every pint (2 cups) of water. This replaces the minerals missing from our water.
2. A second strategy for beating toxicity is to eat home cooked, low in sugar, whole foods. The body isn’t designed to cope with the level of toxicity provided by the junk and processed food we eat today. Our bodies get strained and we have to get back to basics and cook from scratch. She recommends batch cooking on the weekend, freezing and thawing the meals as needed. This is preferable over undertaking detoxification programs.
Thyroid Problems – We Wait Too Long
3. If your mother had low thyroid function, you may have inherited the tendency, too. Symptoms include, cold hands and feet, low temperature, low energy, weight gain, constipation, slow metabolism.
4. Typically doctors wait for the thyroid to get to rock bottom because that is the only way to provide thyroid hormone replacement. This is much too late – that’s closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. It is necessary to support with minerals before you get to that point.
5. Use the minerals, magnesium, iodine, selenium, boron, zinc, manganese to support the thyroid. She recommends her product ReLyte, a product she formulated herself and which helped her get off Armour® .
Adrenal Fatigue – A Mother’s Problem
6. Forcing yourself to complete work when you are tired will push your adrenal glands. You will experience adrenaline surges, causing your blood sugar to drop. Your adrenals will then push the blood sugar up and this will trigger heart palpitations and panic attacks. All the while you will feel exhausted.
7. Adrenals really need rest, which is a problem for moms. Women are often left doing it all and we need to somehow create a support systems so that we can get the rest we need.
8. Moms are often so tense and tight that they can’t sleep. Trips to the well-baby clinic elicit concern from the doctor and before you know it you’re on an antidepressant. This will contribute to the toxicity in your body.
9. Magnesium is the correct treatment for this situation. If you saturate yourself with magnesium you are strongly supporting your muscles and nerves. It will help your metabolism, give you energy during the day and help you sleep deeply. It supports 700-800 different enzyme systems in the body but you have to have enough.
10. 80% of the populations is low on magnesium. You can get a magnesium RBC blood test to check your level. The normal range is 4.2 to 6.8 but this is too broad. If you’re at 4.2, you are very low. You want to be in the range of 6.0-6.5.
11. If you are low and looking to supplement, be careful you don’t experience the laxative effect that magnesium can bestow. Find a magnesium supplement that is absorbed by the body. She recommends ReMag.
12. Other products to support the adrenals: sodium (in your water as described above), organic, plant-based B complex and C complex vitamins.
Calcium Supplementation – The Big Mistake of Medicine
13. Calcium supplementation has been overemphasized. Over the past decade, studies into calcium supplementation have caught up. They show that women who take calcium supplements have a higher risk for heart disease, also increased incidence of fibromyalgia, soft tissue calcification (including in breast tissue), gall stones, kidney stones, and heel spurs.
14. We need equal amounts of calcium and magnesium. In Europe, the recommendation is an RDA of 600-700mg but in the US it is 1500-2000mg. When we have calcium that isn’t absorbed, it leaks out into the body. Unlike magnesium, which is excreted from the body in the form of diarrhea if there is an overload, calcium stays in the body.
15. When calcium leaches into soft breast tissue, women can be diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma In Situ (DCIS). This is non-invasive but it is treated “like cancer” with biopsies and mammograms. “We come to find out that it is micro-calcification and has its real basis in supplements, calcium fortified foods and a high calcium diet.”
16. We don’t need to take calcium supplements. You can get 400-800mg of calcium a day from two cups of milk. If you are eating nuts, fish with bones, bone broth, green leafy vegetables you are probably “way over” the 600-700mg Dr. Dean recommends.
Yeast Overgrowth – The Quiet Drunk
17. Antibiotics, birth control pills, cortisone have set the stage for yeast overgrowth. They kill off the good bacteria allowing the bad to take over. A high sugar diet and stress will then feed the yeast thereby perpetuating the problem.
18. Yeast has a role to play in the large intestine but when it overgrows, it climbs into the small intestine. There it causes leaky gut to occur. Micro-punctures are made in the small intestinal wall, and through those holes yeast enters the bloodstream and creates a systemic yeast infection throughout the body.
19. Yeast produces over 178 toxins that are absorbed into the bloodstream and cause symptoms that include brain fog, depression, anxiety, heart palpitations, heartburn, scratchy throat. You can end up taking a whole host of medications to deal with these side-effects. These toxins also deplete magnesium.
20. One of these toxins from yeast is acetaldehyde, often called the “hangover chemical”. It causes brain fog. It is possible to get a positive result on a breathalyzer test from yeast overgrowth due to this toxin. You are essentially making your own alcohol and you will get drunk right away if you drink alcohol on top.
21. To get rid of yeast overgrowth, you have to avoid all sugars, gluten foods and dairy (dairy sugars feed yeast). Food good for killing off yeast are garlic, onions, broccoli, brussel sprouts, psyllium seeds. You can also use bentonite clay to absorb the toxin. Caprylic acid (found in coconut oil) is also important.
22. The most commonly prescribed anti-fungal medication contains fluoride which binds up magnesium. If you go to Wikipedia, you will see the formula on the right hand side and see the “F” that represents fluorine. (This is the compound that contains fluoride – I did this with Diflucan and Dr. Dean is correct.)
23. You can go to yeastconnection.com and take the quiz there to discover if yeast overgrowth is a problem for you.
Hemorrhoids and Varicose Veins
24. The best treatment for hemorrhoids is Anurex, a cryotherapy. You basically freeze them so they shrink and this will allow it to heal. You can order it online at anurex.com
25. Varicose veins are capillaries and veins that get stretched out, often because of deficiencies in copper and zinc. ReLyte, Vitamin C Complex by Grown By Nature, and sea salt in water will help.
26. ReLyte, ReMag and sea salt (drink half your body weight in ounces of water per day) will support the mineral/water balance required by the body to function well. You should find that your energy picks up and hormones start to balance because the metabolism of your body is proceeding naturally and normally.
27. You can find Dr Dean at:
Dr. Dean is a medical doctor, naturopath, herbalist, acupuncturist, nutritionist, lecturer, consultant, author. Dr. Dean has been in the forefront of health issues for over 30 years.
She graduated from Dalhousie Medical School in 1978, holds a medical license in California and is a graduate of The Ontario College of Naturopathic Medicine – now the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM) in Toronto. She served on the board of Governors of the CCNM for six years.
Dr. Dean has authored or coauthored over thirty books, including Death by Modern Medicine: Seeking Safe Solutions, The Magnesium Miracle, The Yeast Connection and Women’s Health, IBS for DUMMIES, IBS Cookbook for DUMMIES and Hormone Balance.